Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The adventures of miss Hotfield part I

Sitting on a plane again, this seems to be a regular thing for me lately. Well truth be told, last weekend I almost screwed it up beyond repair…..since I am not going on Vagabond Opera tour this time around, I decided to go down just for the Santa Cruz show. Visit my mom and dad, see my sweetie partway through tour and play with my favorite eastern European operatic bohemian Balkan klezmer cabaret band at a great venue in Santa Cruz, the Kuumbwa jazz center. Well when I checked my itinerary the night before I realized OH SHIT!!!!!!! I booked the flight for OCTOBER 27th, not SEPTEMBER 27th! Who does that??? Well to my credit I think I was booking the flight from a hotel room in Boise after a VO show and on my way to Burningman… and I was booking another flight at the same time, the other one going from Portland to Oakland, Oakland to NY, and Austin to Portland. Give me a break! Well in order to fix my ghastly mistake (the night before the flight, mind you) they wanted $80 for a transfer fee, and the fare had gone up by a mere $130. So I said, never mind. I suck. Oh well, now I can go to Bend with the Groove Bomb, that sounds fun too! But Vagabond Opera had other plans for me. At 2:00 the next day they decided that I simply must be at the show so they shelled out the $210 and 7 hours later I was sitting on the runway. Thanks VO!! I like to think that I’m sooooooo important to the band that they would fly me down same day, disregarding the fact that they were staying at my parent’s house and their promoter and radio host is an old family friend who knew me when I was in diapers….they get the special treatment Santa Cruz cause it’s ‘Amy’s boyfriend’s band’ oh and how Santa Cruz loves them! (us) who doesn’t?
So I had a weekend filled with fun and sun and roller coasters and seaweed and sweet love and mom’s lasagne and butterflies (monarchs, of course) and, Vagabond Opera. The show was spectacular. The Kuumbwa jazz center is a really great listening room. Not much room for dancing but the crowd is listening to every little detail. I kind of like it that way, there are so many intricacies that get lost in the jumble of dancing. I think both have their place, really.
So Monday morning I came back to Portland for a week (or so ) of work, and now I am back on a plane again, headed down to Oakland for Shalene’s wedding. I’m a maid of honor! And what an honor it is, my sweet best friend since 2nd grade. ~love~
Then Sunday morning bright and early I depart Oakland and drop off Keith (SriKanta) at the SF airport… he is off on an adventure of his own, to Montreal to train for 6 months with Cirque Du Soliel, then he’s off to Macao China to be a part of a stationary show, for 2 YEARS!!! I am so excited and proud of him, and I am blessed to be the ONE who gets to send him off at the airport. Then I drive back to SC to meet my parents, and they will take me to San Jose to get on a red eye flight to New York to meet up with March Fourth. I get there at around 6:30 in the morning and the band won’t roll in to town until around 5 that night, so I am going to go over to my friend Stefan’s house in the meantime… yay! Blissful haven with my hula hoopin cutie!! I am excited to be in New York, even if it is just for a day. We’re playing at the Knitting Factory Monday night, sounds fun.
Well, it looks like I have to ‘prepare my electronic device for stowage’ I think flight attendants just make up works like ‘stowage’ and ‘deplane’ but you know what? I’m cool with that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amy

This is so cool to read your blog and hear about your adventures. New York sounds awesome. I have not been there since 1970?? Well- a long time ago. All that Chinese food sounds yummy and food in NY is like nowhere else. Keep writing and of course keep having fun. Kaya

Anonymous said...

[url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big8.jpg[/img][/url]

בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - שלווה, [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] מרווחים, אינטימיות, [url=http://kfarbair.com/services.html]שקט[/url] . אנו מספקים שירותי אירוח מיוחדים גם יש במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם!

לפרטים נוספים נא גשו לאתרנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]